Civil Engineering and Construction - Introduction
Wickham Market Bridge, Suffolk
Client: Suffolk County Council
Main Contractor: May Gurney
Anchor Installer: Topbond Plc
As part of a refurbishment project, the bridge carrying the B1078 over the railway line at Wickham
Market Station had its deck replaced. A prop force was needed to stabilise the abutments in the
temporary condition while the old deck was demolished and a degree of stabilisation was required
for the abutments once the new deck was in position, whilst causing minimal disruption to the
running of the railway.
Stealth S08 anchors were utilised, as their small profile meant that they could be installed using hand
held equipment prior to demolition of the deck. IP1inverted patress plates were used to transfer the
load to the abutments and provide an aesthetically pleasing finish.
Anchor System: S08EB aluminium bronze anchor c/w 8m of 12mm Ø stainless steel wire tendon, 250mm Ø aluminium bronze inverted patress plate and 12mm stainless steel wedge grip.
Anchor Design Life: 120 yrs
Featured Case Studies
- A1 (m) Bramham To Wetherby Upgrade Scheme, Paradise Farm View Case Study
- Banks Wood, Dowpits Lane Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria View Case Study
- Burgess Hill Embankment Strengthening View Case Study
- Power Line Crossing, Glasgow View Case Study
- White Lion Close, Summerhill, Wrexham View Case Study
- Wickham Market Bridge, Suffolk View Case Study