Civil Engineering and Construction - Introduction
RNLI Station, Silloth, Cumbria
Consultant: W A Fairhurst
Main Contractor & Anchor Installer: Southbay Civils Ltd
The existing loose ballast roadway extending from the bottom of this concrete slipway to the low water level was in need of repair. A more robust and durable solution was required to reduce long term maintenance costs and improve the lifeboat deployment and response time in an emergency.Solution:
The existing route was prepared and an articulating concrete block revetment system was laid providing a new uniform and level roadway. To prevent any movement and uplift, caused by storms or tidal surges, the revetment mattresses were secured in position using mechanical anchors. Each anchor was installed, at 0.5m intervals, using simple hand held power tools. The speed and simplicity of the solution allowed the new structure to be secure and fully operational again within a few days.
Anchor System: S06EA aluminium alloy anchor c/w 1.4m of 4mm Ø stainless steel wire tendon, 135mm x 175mm stainless steel dished revetment plate & 4mm recessed wedge grip.
Anchor Design Life: 25 Years
Soil Type: Estuary mud/sand
Featured Case Studies
- A1 (m) Bramham To Wetherby Upgrade Scheme, Paradise Farm View Case Study
- Banks Wood, Dowpits Lane Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria View Case Study
- Burgess Hill Embankment Strengthening View Case Study
- Power Line Crossing, Glasgow View Case Study
- White Lion Close, Summerhill, Wrexham View Case Study
- Wickham Market Bridge, Suffolk View Case Study