Civil Engineering and Construction - Introduction
Landfill Capping Anchors - Moleigh & Dalinlongart, Argyle & Bute
Client: Shanks Group Plc
Main Contractor & Anchor Installer: Environmental Linings Ltd
To provide an anchoring system that would be capable of holding a multiple layered landfill capping
solution over a steep gradient tip. An additional requirement was to provide a gas tight seal to
prevent the escape of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and also the ingress of rainwater that
could generate ground polluting leachates.
Laid out on a staggered 3m grid pattern, the anchors were driven straight through the laid
membrane and directly into the landfill waste to a depth of approximately 1.4m. They were then load
locked by hand before the polyethylene load plate and conical wedge grip were installed and sealed
to the membrane using silicon mastic. The posidrain and UV layer were then laid and securely fixed
using the top load plate and aluminium swage.
Anchor System: S04 Geo anchors c/w a UV inhibited polyethylene load plate, conical wedge grip, a further UV inhibited polyethylene load plate & aluminium swage.
Quantity: 2000 (over two sites)
Anchor Design Life: 5 yrs
Soil Type: Landfill waste
Featured Case Studies
- A1 (m) Bramham To Wetherby Upgrade Scheme, Paradise Farm View Case Study
- Banks Wood, Dowpits Lane Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria View Case Study
- Burgess Hill Embankment Strengthening View Case Study
- Power Line Crossing, Glasgow View Case Study
- White Lion Close, Summerhill, Wrexham View Case Study
- Wickham Market Bridge, Suffolk View Case Study