Civil Engineering and Construction - Introduction
Burgess Hill Embankment Strengthening
Client: Network Rail
Consultant: Peter Brett Associates
Main Contractor & Anchor Installer: Edmund Nuttall Ltd
Stabilisation and reinforcement was required for a 1000m stretch of railway embankment between
Burgess Hill and Hassocks on the Brighton Line. This comprised the installation of sheet piles to a
depth of up to 8m, construction of a capping beam with handrails and a drainage system for draining
the water that had built up within the embankment and beneath the track bed.
Plati-Drains , attached to B06 anchors were installed at 9m centres, upwards towards the track bed
from the edge of the embankment. Dummy piles were used at the Plati-Drain positions to allow for
easy installation and drainage through the steel sheet piled wall. The Plati-Drains were terminated
into the upper carrier drain with inspection chambers connected to a lateral drain and thence to a
drain at the toe of the slope, eventually running into the existing watercourses.
Anchor System: B06TC galvanised spheroidal graphite iron anchor c/w 11m of ‘Passive’ Plati-Drain®.
Soil Type: Clay Fill
Featured Case Studies
- Markshall Farm Road Cutting , Norfolk View Case Study
- Wickham Market Bridge, Suffolk View Case Study
- White Lion Close, Summerhill, Wrexham View Case Study
- Power Line Crossing, Glasgow View Case Study
- Burgess Hill Embankment Strengthening View Case Study
- Banks Wood, Dowpits Lane Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria View Case Study
- A1 (m) Bramham To Wetherby Upgrade Scheme, Paradise Farm View Case Study